Illinois Natural History Survey, New Building
University of Illinois
With a staff of over 200 scientists and technicians, the Illinois Natural History Survey is recognized as the premier natural history survey in the nation. The resources needed to effectively support the Survey have changed considerably since their current headquarters building was completed in 1942.
The goal of this project was to construct a new LEED Silver certified facility for housing the biological collections, which are used by both the Survey and University of Illinois staff, as well as by students for research. In addition, the new building provides offices and research laboratories for the Survey’s Center for Bio-Diversity for approximately 60 people. The architectural style is compatible with nearby campus buildings and construction conformed to south campus building standards for heavy commercial use. The Natural History Survey’s Botany Collections were moved from the existing Natural Resources Building. This has allowed the operational units of the INHS to be located adjacent to each other in the South Campus area and the immediate and critical space needs of the Survey were addressed.
Henneman Engineering was responsible for complete mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection engineering design.
21,641 square feet