Building Information Modeling (BIM)
Henneman Engineering is Autodesk® Building Systems Revit proficient.
Utilizing Autodesk Building Systems and Revit throughout the organization for a variety of highly-complex projects has promoted a new dimension in project delivery. Since incorporating BIM technologies Henneman Engineering has improved accuracy and coordination allowing us to provide early and accurate design input. Our engineers and designers now have the ability to model differentiating design contingencies, allowing them to produce better coordinated design efforts, real-time collision detection and interference resolution prior to construction issuance. The end result – projects with the ability to maintain budget and construction schedules with reduced field coordination efforts.
Our design staff throughout the firm has completed or is currently working on a number of projects in the Revit platform:
- Actus LendLease, Privatized Army Lodging (New Builds), 11 Locations Nationwide
- BJC HealthCare - St. Louis Children's Hospital Procedure Room Renovation, St. Louis, Missouri
- BJC HealthCare - St. Louis Children's Hospital Operating Room Remodel, St. Louis, Missouri
- BJC HealthCare - BJC Christian, North East Kitchen Relocation, St. Louis, Missouri
- BJC HealthCare - CAM Vault 6 and 7 Linear Accelerator, St. Louis, Missouri
- Brown Deer Medical Office Building – Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare, Brown Deer, Wisconsin
- Busey Bank Branch Location, Champaign, Illinois
- Children's Memorial Hospital, USP Pharmacy Upgrade, Chicago, Illinois
- City of Fitchburn, New Library, Fitchburg, Wisconsin
- Edward Jones, P2 Parking Deck, Maryland Heights, Missouri
- Illinois State Capitol, HVAC Renovation Phase II West, Springfield, Illinois
- Infinity Tower, New Mixed-Use High Rise, Arlington, Texas
- Iowa State University, Recreation Facilities Addition, Ames, Iowa
- Langlade Hospital, New Replacement Hospital, Antigo, Wisconsin
- Montage Luxury Apartments, Orlando, Florida
- Morris Hospital, North Addition, Morris, Illinois
- Museum of the Grand Prairie, Mahomet, Illinois
- OSF Healthcare - St. Francis Medical Center Jump Trading Simulation Education Center, Peoria, Illinois
- Southern Illinois University, Transportation Education Center (includes security design), Edwardsville, Illinois
- Taycheedah Correctional Institute, Monarch and Segregation Annexes, Taycheedah, Wisconsin
- Theda Clark Regional Medical Center, Neenah, Wisconsin
- University of Missouri Health Care, Patient Care Tower, Columbia, Missouri
- University of Missouri Health Care, Orthopaedic Institute, Columbia, Missouri
- University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, New Ambulatory Surgical Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Centennial Office Building, Madison, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Institutes for Medical Research (WIMR) Center Tower, Madison, Wisconsin
Henneman is expert at Revit design, and our design staff throughout the firm are working on a number of projects in the Revit platform. We have been using Revit 3D BIM software for over eight years, and currently work in Revit 2011 – 2013. Our design technicians have had formal training in Revit as well as on-the-job training.
Henneman Engineering has had great success in developing Revit for use in mechanical systems design which are traditionally the most difficult to coordinate both architecturally and structurally during the design process. We have found that coordination of architectural and structural elements has been extremely helpful in defining ductwork layout using the design capabilities of Revit for ductwork routing above ceilings and around structural elements using the collision detection feature. The electrical lighting design process for coordinating luminary locations within the architectural ceiling elements and verifying installation depths have proved to be a beneficial tool of the Revit product.
Our experience has shown us that the design process in BIM cannot follow the traditional production process whereby the architectural design and MEP design are concurrently completed. The MEP systems design is inherently tied to the architectural model forcing the architectural design team to be substantially further in development with the architectural elements before the MEP elements can be finalized. The BIM design process will put additional pressure on the architectural design team’s completion schedule and final deliverables to the construction team.
For a BIM design process to be effective ‘drafting’ standards must be established very early on and all team members must commit to adhering to these standards. Design information must be shared.
Henneman Engineering has complete confidence in abilities with this technology. Using Revit models or other 3D fabrication software for inter-discipline coordination is beneficial to the owner as well as the design and construction team. Many construction installation coordination issues can be resolved during the design phase reducing costly field modifications due to unforeseen constructability issues. Utilizing 3D software for the basic benefits of collision detection and space coordination is highly effective. As the Revit product matures in the coming years, the value to the owner as a true building information management system will prove to be an invaluable asset.