University of Illinois, Davenport Hall
This project renovated portions of the west wing of Davenport Hall. Built in 1900 and designed by Joseph C. Llewellyn in the renaissance classical style, Davenport Hall is one of the earliest campus buildings at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Originally the headquarters for the College of Agriculture, the facility is now utilized by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences for instructional classrooms, laboratories, and administrative offices.
The renovation included general assignment classrooms, public areas, and supporting areas that were high-use areas for students. New HVAC, sprinkler and life safety systems, elevator modernization, and electrical service replacement were included. Repurposed classrooms received new audio/visual equipment. Window sashes were installed in the windows that received HVAC upgrades, and new windows were provided where needed in the south interior courtyard. The west entrance to the building was examined to create an accessible entrance.
Henneman Engineering’s design featured all new HVAC that would be provided by a new air-handling unit located in the attic. In addition to adding ventilation to the spaces, this air handler would provide the heating and cooling for the spaces as well, which replaced approximately 14 window air conditioners. All new windows were added in place of the demolished air conditioners. Since Henneman’s work was the first phase of a multiphase project, Henneman planned to install its equipment so that it would not be affected by subsequent phases.
Additional Higher Education Projects
Iowa State University, Troxel Hall AuditoriumAmes, Iowa
Iowa State University, Recreation CenterAmes, Iowa
Iowa State University, Curtiss Hall Harl CommonsAmes, Iowa
Purdue University, McCutcheon HallWest Lafayette, Indiana
University of Illinois, Chemistry AnnexUrbana-Champaign, Illinois
University of Illinois, Henry Administration BuildingUrbana-Champaign, Illinois