University of Illinois, Chemistry Annex
The Chemistry Annex was constructed in 1931 and currently serves undergraduate chemistry students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
The facility had been provided with a new electrical service and roof in recent years, but otherwise had remained in the same condition since its inception. The scope of work for this project included a complete renovation of the existing facility and incorporated an addition to the southeast corner of the existing building along Mathews Avenue.
The project provided new state-of-the art instructional laboratory facilities and associated support spaces. The interior of the existing 43,000 square foot facility was demolished down to the structural components and completely renovated. The 9,000 square foot addition includes an elevator and an enclosed fire stair to address life safety and accessibility issues. The project included complete upgrades of the electrical, HVAC, and plumbing systems. New audio-visual systems and technology were provided as well. The scope of services included a LEED Gold Certification.
Henneman Engineering was responsible for complete electrical and AV/Data/IT engineering design.
52,000 gross square feet
Total Construction Budget
Additional Higher Education Projects
University of Illinois, Oak Street LibraryUrbana-Champaign, Illinois
Illinois Wesleyan University, Welcome CenterBloomington, Illinois
Bradley University, Engineering & Convergence CenterPeoria, Illinois
University of Illinois, Krannert Art MuseumUrbana-Champaign, Illinois
Illinois State University, Waterson Culinary CenterNormal, Illinois
University of Wisconsin-Platteville, Williams Fieldhouse AdditionPlatteville, Wisconsin